Job Requirements and Selection Process
Following are the requirements to apply for a job as well as the Selection Process for all our academic units: The Language School, Pre-School, School or the University (UNICDA).
Requirements for Teachers
- Oral and written English proficiency exams.
- Teaching experience (preferable)
- Commitment to work for at least one year.
- Minimum age: 18 years old.
- High School degree (minimum requirement).
- Training in English as a Foreign Language or Education (Preferable)
- Availability to work Saturdays (9:00 a.m. to 12 n and 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Pre-School / School:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field.
- University credits in Education (12).
- University credits in the subject area (24 - only for High School teachers).
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or in the subject area, Master´s degree preferable.
- Teachers of subjects taught in Spanish are not required to take the English proficiency exam.
The following documents are required: Application Form, picture, résumé, photocopy of the ID card (Cédula) or Passport, photocopy of the most recent university degree, photocopy of the university transcript (only for School teachers), photocopy of courses taken during the last five years (only for School teachers). The Application Form can be sent by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (809)-533-8809, or handed at the Human Resources Department (Ave. Abraham Lincoln no. 21).
2. English Test (only for English teachers)
The English Test is scheduled every Wednesday at 2:45 p.m. The candidate must be in the Human Resources Department at 2:30 p.m. The Human Resources Secretary will proctor the candidate during the English Test and will inform him of the results the following week. The candidate does not need a previous appointment to take the English Test.
3. Pre-Selection Interview (Human Resources)
If the grade on the English Test is 80 or above, the candidate is called in for an interview with the Recruiter. This interview takes place one or two weeks after the English test is taken. If the grade of the English Test is below 80, the candidate must wait at least one year before he or she can apply again.
4. Academic Interview:
One or two weeks after the interview with the Recruiter, if the candidate meets all the requirements, an interview with the Academic Director of the corresponding academic unit will be scheduled.
5. Final selection:
The candidate’s final selection is made by taking into account his/her English proficiency level (oral and written), as well as his/her academic background, teaching experience and personality traits
6. Hiring Process:
- Additional Documents: To be eligible for hiring, the candidate must send the following documents: Health Certificate, Police Clearance (issued by the local Police Department), university degree (the original, to seal the photocopy), university transcript (original – only for school teachers ) and letters of reference (2).
- Job Contract: The Labor Ministry requires that all foreigners sign a written job contract. Dominicans are exempted from this requirement.
7. Orientation Meeting:
The new employee must attend an orientation meeting with the Head of the Human Resources Department and with the Academic Director of the corresponding Academic Unit. He will be given an ID tag, the Institutional Orientation Handbook, and an Academic Handbook.
8. Training Programs:
The new employee must attend the following training programs:
- Language School: In-service training every three months and ten (10) hours of classroom observation.
- Colegio: If the new employee does not have any credits in Education, he/she must take 12 university credits in Education.
- University: The new employee must attend the academic in-service training at the end of each cycle.