The Instituto Cultural Domínico-Americano (ICDA) was founded on January 26, 1947 by a group of Dominicans and Americans residing in the country, with the purpose of strengthening the friendship and cultural ties between the United States of America and the Dominican Republic.
Its initial activity consisted of stimulating education in general and culture, as well as increasing knowledge, understanding and relations between these two countries, forming their intellectual and spiritual understanding through a comprehensive program of cultural relations and teaching at different levels.
Since its foundation, the ICDA has always remained at the forefront in offering educational services to Dominican society, dominating the English language teaching market by establishing standards of high quality and innovation.
In 1981, the Domínico Americano School was founded, with the purpose of providing a balanced educational program with instruction in the English language while preserving the Spanish language and Dominican culture and history.
In 1989, after exhausting a rigorous evaluation process, the National Council for Higher Education (CONES) approved the creation of an Institute of Higher Studies at the undergraduate level, and recommended its approval to the central government. Thus, through Decree No. 226 dated June 6, 1989, the Instituto Cultural Domínico-Americano acquired the faculty to issue degrees at the Higher Technician level in the areas of Computer Science, Tourism, Accounting, Business Administration, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, and Bilingual Executive Secretary.
On March 20, 2001, through Decree No. 389-01, the Executive Branch granted the Instituto Cultural Domínico-Americano the benefit of legal personality to grant higher academic degrees, thus placing the ICDA in the category of University.
Currently the institution has a wide academic-cultural offer composed of:
The University with its Undergraduate, Graduate, Continuing Education programs and Teachers Development Center.
The Language School with its English as a second language program and a Spanish program for foreigners.
The School that offers primary and secondary education.
The Preschool for children 2 years and older.
The Cultural Department in charge of all cultural programs, such as the Workshop Theater, the Mixed Choir, the Julio Alberto Hernández Male Choir and the Escuela de Arte y Cultura, in addition to managing the Exhibition Gallery and the Patrick N. Hughson Auditorium.
The Lincoln Library.
The Office of Student Advisory.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS PRESIDENTS
INSTITUTO CULTURAL DOMÍNICO-AMERICANO
1947 to present
|Hernán Cruz Ayala
|Dr. Jerome Gerendasy
|Julio D. Postigo
|Frank G. Brennan
|Dr. Alejandro Read
|Patrick N. Hughson
|Pedro Morales Troncoso
|Dr. José Ramón Hernández
|Alfredo Lebrón Pumarol
|Pedro Antonio Rodríguez
|S. S. Houston
|Engracia Franjul de Abate
|Eduardo Fernández P.
|Stephen R. Tiernay
|José del Carmen Ariza
|Darío Lama Reyes